Clubbing on Campus

Not to worry, you no longer have to walk past Young Nats wearing their “Best Party on Campus” t-shirts on the way to lectures.

Last week the Hub and quad at Kelburn Campus played host to Clubs’ Week.

Yes, that three-day exhibit of information stalls, lolly bowls and best intentions you most probably tried to avoid.

But Clubs Week was more than just terrible political slogans. It turns out Victoria has a club for pretty much everything, with over 130 groups or clubs available on campus.

For the more proactive, clubs are a way for students to make new friends or enjoy activities with other like-minded people.

Rory McNamara, VUWSA Clubs and Activities Officer, explains that Clubs’ Week is all about “showing students what’s on offer at Uni.”

And there was much on offer. HUGE once again combined religious insight with culinary decadence, their free ice cream a huge hit. Two Yoga Club companions performed stretches that blurred the realms of public decency. The Student Health and Counseling stall boasted a “Spot the Sperm” exhibit, where one determined the make-up of questionable white liquids. There was even vegan banana cake that tasted like the “real thing”.

Businesses had stalls on display too. Westpac had girls in tiaras offering chocolate and photo opportunities with a stuffed tiger on a white, faux leather couch. Some guys from Noel Leeming were selling assorted electronics at hot hot low prices.

Rory assured me the week was a “success”. The sign-up sheets abundant with contact details.

That said, one student admitted they “probably won’t join a club,” though the free stuff was “all good”.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t