Clubbing on Campus

Not to worry, you no longer have to walk past Young Nats wearing their “Best Party on Campus” t-shirts on the way to lectures.

Last week the Hub and quad at Kelburn Campus played host to Clubs’ Week.

Yes, that three-day exhibit of information stalls, lolly bowls and best intentions you most probably tried to avoid.

But Clubs Week was more than just terrible political slogans. It turns out Victoria has a club for pretty much everything, with over 130 groups or clubs available on campus.

For the more proactive, clubs are a way for students to make new friends or enjoy activities with other like-minded people.

Rory McNamara, VUWSA Clubs and Activities Officer, explains that Clubs’ Week is all about “showing students what’s on offer at Uni.”

And there was much on offer. HUGE once again combined religious insight with culinary decadence, their free ice cream a huge hit. Two Yoga Club companions performed stretches that blurred the realms of public decency. The Student Health and Counseling stall boasted a “Spot the Sperm” exhibit, where one determined the make-up of questionable white liquids. There was even vegan banana cake that tasted like the “real thing”.

Businesses had stalls on display too. Westpac had girls in tiaras offering chocolate and photo opportunities with a stuffed tiger on a white, faux leather couch. Some guys from Noel Leeming were selling assorted electronics at hot hot low prices.

Rory assured me the week was a “success”. The sign-up sheets abundant with contact details.

That said, one student admitted they “probably won’t join a club,” though the free stuff was “all good”.

1. With Arms Wide Open: AUSA to return to NZUSA
  3. WEED — Anthony McCarten
  5. The New Animals — Pip Adam
  6. The Queer Agenda
  7. Fazerdaze
  9. The Green Option
  10. Bogan Beautiful (The Musical)
blue

The Things We Share

: - SPONSORED - As a Pākehā kid, when I first learnt to mihi, I found that building a sense of my own whakapapa was a kind of patchwork, something I could stitch together by pulling threads from family stories. The waka I chose, or borrowed from my father, was called the Wanganel