Coffee for the People!

Well-respected caffeine provider, scone distributor and almost-vegan café VicBooks has officially opened mini branches in Vic’s Pipitea and Karori campuses.

The café/book shop has been dubbed by People’s Coffee “as much a part of life at Victoria University as pressing buttons to open doors” and “an oasis in a desert of 50-page required readings”.

Students can now be served their fav beverage at locations in Rutherford House and Karori, the latter of which opened this January in time for the new term.

After being neglected for what feels like decades, several students who attend class at the Karori campus have expressed their delight at the new outlet.

However, one student told Salient she did “feel for the baristas who have unknowingly signed up to suffer through life at Karori”. Although, with Kaori campus set to be phased out, there is uncertainty as to how long this caffeinated ray of hope will last.

An English Lit student dubbed VicBooks Karori barista Jack “the prince Charming behind the majestic steed that is the coffee machine” while another student went so far as to give Karori VicBooks a participatory sports award emblazoned with a vivid “best baristas in the world”.

When it comes to Pipitea’s new digs, VicBooks manager Lars declared that “the coffee is excellent, service is great and it’s a great location” with students on social media to expressing that they’re “as happy as the guys on the cup” to finally have quality coffee at Pipitea.

This comes as part of VicBooks’ continuing move to appeal to the weekend and professional  market, with the twee Kitchenette at Kelburn now offering some pretty dope waffles to Kelburn mums on a Saturday.

100 per cent student owned under VUWSAT (Victoria University Wellington Students’ Association Trust) since 1975, VUWSA President Rick Zwaan is believed to be frothing at the gash at the prospect of new franchises. Zwaan said he was “excited”, although he was probably just hopped up on caffeine.