March 8, 2015 | by  | in Music |

I Want to Grow Up—Colleen Green

Colleen Green is a Los Angeles-based songwriter and self-proclaimed stoner who’s just hit 30. She’s a special kind of SoCal pop-punk and this time around she’s focused on responsibility, romantic failures, insecurities and growing up.

I Want To Grow Up is fairly self-explanatory in that it really is all about growing up. Green makes responsibilty feel cool. Kinda. It’s about letting that unwillingness to grow up go completely, or at least trying to. It’s claustrophobic, it’s fear, it’s the futility of life. It’s the realisation that you’re growing up whether you want to or not. It’s that stoner kid paranoia glazed with sugary bubblegum grunge. It’s the idea that your life should be all figured out by 30, when in reality you’re still struggling to get by.

The title track isn’t that lyrically impressive, but it’s got a catchy beat and a good balance between heavy instruments and whingey vocals. “Deeper Than Love” is one of my favourite tracks, with lyrics like “Will I find a love that lasts as long as my life or will I die before ever becoming a wife? And I’m wondering if I’m even the marrying kind. How can I give you my life when I know you’re just gonna die?” The song continues “‘Cause I’m shitty and I’m lame and I’m dumb and I’m a bore/ And once you get to know me you won’t like me anymore.” They’re scary thoughts, but they’re relatable. This heavy self-reflective stuff is repeated throughout the album with all of Green’s lyrics following a similarly anxious theme.

“Some People” feels like something that would play at a school dance in an awkward 90s coming of age film. “Grind My Teeth” feels a little bit more punk, it’s upbeat and it’s definitely one of my favourites from the album. “TV” is kind of a depressing reality, with lyrics like “TV is my friend, made me who I am/ And if you’re not a fan then I can’t relate.” “Whatever I Want” ends the album and it’s the ultimate coming of age song as Green realises that she actually can do whatever she wants. I can’t help hoping she realised this before the age of 30 though.

I Want To Grow Up is a relatable mix of catchy tracks, it’s a tiny bit grunge, a tiny bit surf pop and it sounds suitably nostalgic. It’s a scarily familiar rendition of how hard and scary it is to grow up, but it’s also about how boring all that shit is. All in all, it’s definitely worth a listen.