It’s a MASSIVE Issue, Guys

After a year of existing solely online, Massey University’s student magazine MASSIVE has made a triumphant return to print.

The magazine, which has a proud history dating all the way back to 2012, had no choice but to retreat into the hallowed sanctuary of the internet in February 2014, when its taste for high-grade publication paper asked too much of the $108,000 provided by Massey University.

MASSIVE’s last print edition, published in March 2014 and devoted entirely to talking about itself, claimed the University had crushed the publication in its “iron grip” as the magazine’s content was “too critical” of the University. One article claimed, “We (student journalists) believe the paltry amount given to us by Massey is an attempt to eradicate independent student media from the university altogether.” Well, that and the fact that no one could support MASSIVE’s superbly flawed business model.

Editor Kim Parkinson says that MASSIVE’s resurrection in material form is due to changes in its business model, including cutting of unnecessary costs and “sensible budgeting”.

In maintaining a more frugal approach, MASSIVE will publish eight issues throughout the academic year, at $13,500 of student money per issue. The first—a 60-page “bumper” edition—was printed and distributed in February. Parkinson asserts that MASSIVE’s focus is on quality rather than quantity (despite “quality” being its downfall last time), and that monthly publication makes distributing to three campuses easier.

MASSIVE has also redesigned its website to make articles move up and down the page at random, and created an app.

The return of a tangible magazine has been met with “a hype of sorts” that MASSIVE’s online-only presence couldn’t achieve due to the sheer quantity of competing content. Parkinson is excited for readers to hold the magazine in their hands, leave it on their coffee tables (to bear countless brown stains), and rip out the illustrations for their walls (as the only sections worth keeping).