March 8, 2015 | by  | in Music |

Man, It Feels Like Space Again—Pond

★★★★

If you haven’t heard of Pond, you’re missing out. They’re a psychedelic rock band from Perth with a lineup that currently consists of Nick Allbrook, Jay Watson, Joseph Ryan and Jamie Terry. The group’s lineup has changed numerous times since the band’s formation, which has resulted in some really interesting albums and their most recent release Man, It Feels Like Space Again is no exception.

Pond formed in 2008 after Joseph Ryan (Mink Mussel Creek), Nick Allbrook (Mink Mussel Creek, Allbrook/Avery, Tame Impala, Peter Bibby & His Bottles of Confidence) and Jay Watson (Tame Impala) decided to form an ego-free collaborative. They recorded Psychedelic Mango with a little help from Kevin Parker (Tame Impala) and they literally haven’t stopped since.

Man, It Feels Like Space Again is their sixth album since forming in 2008. It’s impressive for a band to be pumping out such good music in such a short space of time and their latest effort might just be the best one yet. The album leans more towards psych-pop than psych-rock, with more emphasis on the synths and dance rhythms than ever before.

Throughout the album, the focus remains on the instruments—the vocals usually sound far away and spacey which only adds to the psychedelic feel of the whole thing. “Waiting Around for Grace” opens gently, but soon the guitar kicks in and the energy changes. The title track is my personal favourite, an eight minute song that combines the heavy use of synths with rolling drums and vocals. If you get a chance, I definitely recommend checking out the video too—I may be a little biased in that I know one of the people responsible for it, but it’s seriously cool and I promise you won’t regret it. “Zond” is another of my favourite tracks from this album, it feels a little bit more upbeat and I definitely recommend checking out the video for this one too (and I don’t even know anyone involved, it’s just good).

Pond is such a cool band in that they don’t take themselves seriously, it’s all a bit of fun and it’s all in the name of creative expression. Man, It Feels Like Space Again is an album that I can’t fault and is definitely one to check out if you’re a fan of Tame Impala, Django Django and those kind of vibes.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos