New Shitters on University’s A-Gender

The University is looking to install unisex toilets at the Law School, after criticisms from transgender and genderqueer students about the lack of facilities.

The Law School is currently the only faculty with no easily accessible gender neutral bathrooms. There are unisex bathrooms at the Kelburn, Karori and Te Aro campuses and at Rutherford House and Railway West Wing.

One transgender male (FTM) law student, who wished to remain anonymous, told Salient that he has to use the disabled toilets at the Railway West Wing. The student said he does not feel comfortable using gendered toilets due to instances in the past where he has been kicked out of toilets and received a negative reaction from fellow bathroom users.

The University is currently investigating options for easily accessible unisex toilets at the Old Government Building, but says that “this involves working with the building’s owners, the Department of Conservation, and working within the constraints of the building’s heritage status.”

VUWSA Welfare Vice-President Madeleine Ashton-Martyn said there was still “a huge amount of work to be done” with regard to issues facing transgender students.

“Providing gender-neutral bathrooms is only the beginning. Creating a culture at Victoria that is accepting and supportive of transgender students, that respects and understands the gender spectrum in all its complexity and fluidity is really important.”

You can find more information about the university’s diversity policy here: victoria.ac.nz/documents/policy/academic/equity-and-diversity-policy.pdf

1. Geraint Scott says:

“this involves working with the building’s owners, the Department of Conservation, and working within the constraints of the building’s heritage status.” No it bloody well doesn’t. Take a current set of gendered toilets and swap the sign out with one that says unisex. Doesn’t matter which, though I suppose it’d be easier to swap out a women’s bathroom since that wouldn’t have urinals.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t