March 29, 2015 | by  | in Games |

Old School Gems: Vib Ribbon

For reasons I cannot fully comprehend, rhythm games seem to be making a comeback with the announcement of a next-gen Rock Band game. How exciting this must be for those who actually bought the plastic instruments.

I, however, have neither the space nor the money necessary to get such rubbish, so I set out on a search to find a rhythm game from the PS1 era, one that would offer fun and challenging rhythm gameplay with a great soundtrack and cool characters. Disappointed that I’d probably have to play PaRappa the Rapper again, I nearly gave up, until I came across a strange sight on the PS Store.

A rabbit. Drawn in vector graphics. No colour. No filled-in polygons. Barely even a picture.

I had never seen anything like it on the PlayStation, let alone any console going back to the Atari 2600. I instantly knew I had found that game. I had found Vib Ribbon.

If you’ve never had the pleasure of playing this weird little rarity, you are in for a real treat. Combining a simple but effective graphical style with a soundtrack of insane J-pop (courtesy of the group Laugh and Peace) and a surprisingly deep gameplay that is simple to learn but hard to master, Vib Ribbon is a fun little game that could only have come from Japan. Controlling Vibri the rabbit along that line is addictive and frustrating, but ultimately rewarding on the game’s base tracks.

The real meat of the game, however, is being able to use any music CD with the game, generating a unique level from any track off any album you want. Unfortunately, I bought a copy to use with my PSP, so I couldn’t use this feature. If anyone can get around that, let me know, or at least let me borrow your PS3.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t