March 15, 2015 | by  | in Food |

Pan de Muerto, Tory Street

It could be a competitor for longest business name in Wellington: Pan de Muerto Mystic Mexican Cuisine and Tequila Bar. It could also give some of Wellington’s best a run for their money with décor; I love the look of this place—I could easily be sitting in the middle of olden-days Mexico instead of downtown Wellington. The walls are lined with sugar skull-faced skeletons dressed in sombreros and paintings of a similar style. The lighting is low, but by no means does it feel dark and dingy. I was accompanied by two friends, one of whom was entertained for the entirety of our time there by the fact that the tables are adjustable in height thanks to a device that looks vaguely like a car jack underneath the table-top.

The service was friendly and helpful, but it was disconcerting to be asked for our order as we were being seated—we hadn’t even seen a menu yet. Once the wait staff figured out the order of operation (sit down first, look at the menu, then order), they were great.

The menu offers a range of ways to eat, with both tapas-style small plates to share and larger main courses (if you’re like Joey from Friends and don’t share food). The three of us opted for the larger courses, having been out and about all day and not in any sort of headspace to be dividing food between ourselves. I ordered a chicken burrito, and it was fantastic, even if it was a little on the mild side. I realised once I was nearly finished that there was hot sauce on the table that I could have added, but by then it was too late to be fussing with that. My two companions both got the fajita, a platter-style dish of ingredients to construct your own food as you want it. The flavour of the fajita was a bit more intense and it was great, but I would like to see anyone manage to get all the filling into the three small pieces of tortilla that it comes with.

Desserts were traditional Mexican fare along the lines of churros and chocolate, but what impressed me was that they catered to the indecisive people of the world (like me), offering all dessert individually or as part of a tasting plate that included a little bit of everything. It was all delicious and very well presented.

Cost of a meal: ~$30

BYO: No.