The Council Is Not on Board

Last Wednesday the Greater Wellington Regional Council decided to proceed with its proposed changes to the Wellington’s bus circuit, cutting the number 18 bus route.

The GWRC’s transport plan will come into effect in 2017, forcing students to take a bus into Courtenay Place or the Railway Station and transfer to a shuttle to Kelburn campus at no extra cost.

VUWSA President Rick Zwaan said the decision reflected “how out of touch the Regional Council is with the concerns of students and other citizens.”

Zwaan claims that Vic students provide the regional economy with over $200 million a year and chastised the Council for refusing “to accept that they have an obligation to care for them”.

A third-year design student, Lily, said of the cancellation that “I need the number 18 in my life! None of us like fucking around through Tinakori.”

Victoria Campus Services Director Jenny Bentley said that there are a number of advantages to the new bus network, “including more frequent bus services to the Kelburn campus, free transfers between services, faster travel times from many suburbs and a 20 per cent off peak fare discount.”

However, Bentley said the University is concerned about the effect the network will have on students and staff who live in Karori Park or the Newton/Mount Cook area, who, under the new plan, will be required to take two buses to get up to campus.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con