March 8, 2015 | by  | in VUWSA |

Welfare Vice-President

So it’s the second week and you’ve probably sat through at least 20 minutes of the wrong lecture before building up the courage to leave. Or if you’re a student returning to Vic you’ve been welcomed back with frustratingly slow internet and overwhelmed looking freshers clutching hall lanyards.

If this time of year is good for anything it’s setting the tone. It’s a cool time to reflect on what got you here, the decisions you made, and what you’re looking to accomplish. Congratulations for making it, it’s honestly no small feat getting this far and being accepted into university. It’s also super impressive to make the decision as a returning student to come back for another round, or to go further in your study and start a postgrad course. At VUWSA, we know it’s not easy to be a student and we’re proud of you for doing it.

When times get rough, remember that we are here for you. Our sole purpose is literally to act in you guys’ best interest, so if there is a way that we can help you with something then we’ll do it. My job at VUWSA is pretty cool because it looks into the welfare side of those things (job title may have given you at least a hint on that). You can come to us when a food parcel will help see you to your next student allowance payment, when getting a flu shot might make getting through winter a little bit easier, or when your landlord is messing you ‘round and our wonderful new student advocate could help you out.

Don’t get me wrong—your university experience isn’t going to totally be defined by those kinds of difficulties. Your university experience is going to be defined by you, what you want to do, and how you want your study to impact your life. Your student years are pretty wild for a number of reasons, some good and some bad. We want to be there for you all the way through that.

Also, take some time to be overwhelmed, being overwhelmed rules. For new students, get into this while you can, everything is new and confusing and at least a part of that is pretty fun to blunder through with your new friends. Returning students, get re-overwhelmed! This place is really bizarre! What a weird transitory, intermediate microcosmic space we’re in. Embrace it.