Wellington surprises no one with its shit weather

Victoria University failed to make wet weather provisions for one of their main events on the first day of O-Week.

The official welcome for all new students starting Victoria University, scheduled for 12:30pm on Monday 23 February at Kelburn Park, was cancelled with no postponement date due to unfavourable weather conditions.

Instead Victoria University dismissed the event and decided to continue with other O-Week festivities such as the sausage sizzle.

When asked to comment on the cancellation, Victoria University’s Director of Academic Services Pam Thorburn stated that “Victoria does have wet weather plans in place but because there is no venue on campus large enough to accommodate more than 2,000 students, there is no way to move the event indoors.”

VUWSA President Rick Zwaan stated that it was “unfortunate” not to be able to welcome new students. Zwaan claimed it was “surprising” that “despite all the money” invested in the Hub development it is “still not fit for purpose in terms of having an inside space large enough for all our new students.”

New Students’ Orientation Week runs until 8 March.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t