March 8, 2015 | by  | in Science |

Worst. Scientific Accuracy. EVER!

For years, Simpsons fans have searched for clues to the age-old question: which of the states is Springfield in? But astronomer and Slate writer Phil Plait posits that Springfield may not even be in America at all, due to the depiction of the moon in a recent episode of the long-running show.

In the January 25, 2015 episode “The Musk Who Fell to Earth”, one scene shows the episode’s guest star Elon Musk looking out at the evening sky as seen from the Simpsons’ Evergreen Terrace home, which depicts a setting crescent moon in its waxing state. The moon’s crescent tips are shown to point to the right, which only occurs in the southern hemisphere. In the northern hemisphere, where the show is ostensibly set, the moon’s crescent tips point to the left.

Rather than chalk the depiction up to a simple animator’s error, Plait was on the internet within minutes, registering his disgust throughout the world. He declared that because of this oversight, The Simpsons must logically take place in the southern hemisphere. He offered his own photograph of a crescent moon from his home in Oregon for comparative proof.

All Salient wants to know is why a genius spends his time watching a cartoon show.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos