DebSocking it to them

Nicktoria is Nicktorious yet again

Victoria DebSoc’s reign of glory continues, after their 17th consecutive win at the New Zealand University Impromptu Debating Championships (“Easters”).

Over the course of the tournament, which ran from 3-6 April in Auckland, Victoria 1—comprising Nick Cross and Nick Gavey—amassed a total of seven wins and 1,538 speaker points.

Vic 1 broke first, meaning they were the top ranked team going into the finals. The went on to conquer Auckland 1 in the final, where they negated the motion “This House believes that comedians should not use racist, sexist or homophobic language, even for the purposes of satire.”

Both Cross and Gavey made it into the New Zealand Impromptu team, with Gavey also awarded Best Speaker.

DebSoc President Kimberley Savill said Victoria performed exceptionally across the board. “It was really exciting to have had such great performances by our new speakers, right through to Vic 6, this tournament, as well as from the veterans.”

Maddy Nash was named Most Promising Speaker while both Liam Dennis and Harrison Fookes achieved Promising Speaker awards. James Gavey achieved accreditation as a judge.

Savill is optimistic that DebSoc’s epic era of victory may yet continue. “It’s been a great achievement over several generations of debaters to make it to 17 years, and this Easters bodes well for the next generation chasing an 18th.”

Easters 2016 will include debaters who were not alive the last time Victoria failed to win the tournament.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  10. Philosoraptor
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con