April 19, 2015 | by  | in VUWSA |

Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer

Introducing the first VUW provided compost bin!

Yup, as of the first week back after the mid tri break, students and staff will no longer be made to squirm as they put their food scraps, compostable plates, and PLA fork (made from plants) into the general waste bins.

The new bin will be parked cosily and conveniently in the Kirk courtyard, right next to the Krishna food kiosk, and will be available for use during Krishna opening hours.

This is a very positive step, but before I fall over myself praising this new bin, let us be reminded that for an organisation that promotes itself as a world leader on sustainability Victoria has been awfully late to the party on composting. It is a good start but there is much work to do.

Of a world leader one could expect exemplary systems across all waste streams and progress toward zero waste with game changing initiatives like reinvesting food waste into onsite vegetable gardens, and plastic free campuses.

With this vision in mind, let’s ensure this first bin is a success. Putting the right things in it is the best way to show the University we are ready for rapid change with regard to food waste collection.

Although what-to-put-in-what-bin can sometimes seem impossibly complicated, this one is not. Everything sold at Krishna can go in apart from glass bottles (food, plate, fork, napkin, cup), along with any other food scraps.

As well as new bins, there have been some other things going on in the wellbeing and sustainability world at Vic. VUWSA submitted on the Greater Wellington Regional Council’s Climate Change Strategy, and a whole lot of happy students have their pantries full of Kapiti honey, organic grains, nuts, seeds and fruit after the VUW Food Co-op’s first order for 2015.

Further afield, the Guardian followed Victoria and other onto-it organisations by removing its investments in fossil fuels, and in case you missed it, the Government opened up more Maui’s dolphin habitats to gas exploration.

Oh, and more bins. VUWSA got separated waste stations ooosh!

Enjoy your first week back, and happy composting.

1. AUSA President Anand Rama Resigns
  2. My Attention is Broke
  3. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  4. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube