Inter-not: Piss-poor WiFi annoys everyone

WiFi outages recently left Victoria University students staring at the Chrome dinosaur. The outages, which began on Thursday 16th April have continued for the last two weeks.

Issues occurred when the newly introduced wireless router rebooted itself over the weekend of Saturday 18 April. This meant the access points, which students connect their devices to, were without stable connections, and often went offline altogether.

Victoria has advised Salient that issue with the WiFi was raised with IBM/Cisco whose hardware Victoria uses.

Unfortunately the problem continued throughout the week. Cisco identified the cause as a bug in the version of software Victoria was running. ITS then uploaded a fix, which required a reboot that occurred at 1.00am on 21 April.

ITS spokesperson Peter Borich advised VUWSA President Rick Zwaan on 20th April that if the issue continued, they would have to manually reboot the server, but this would be a last resort.

The University assured Salient that there have been no further issues since the reboot.

Students however, remain dismayed at the lack of reliable Wifi connection. One disgruntled posted a photo on Overheard @ Vic showing students had changed their device names to ‘vic wifi is shit’ and ‘fuck u Vic wifi [sic]’, one photo received over 1469 likes.

Third year student Madeline Leighton told Salient that the WiFi outages had “stopped her from doing everything” as she was unable to connect to websites she needed for university work. While on a lighter note, student Nicole Richardson told Salient that the WiFi disruptions had only slightly  inconvenienced her daily routine of checking Taylor Swift’s instagram.

The University currently spends $29m annually to provide ITS services (salaries included).

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t