May 11, 2015 | by  | in News Salient TV |

More Help Needed

Trigger Warning: This content deals with sexual assault figures and may be triggering to some people.

Last week the VUWSA Women’s group marked the 2015 Annual Wellington Rape Crisis appeal with collections on campus.

Wellington Rape Crisis is a safe support system for men and women who have experienced assault and those who are either too afraid to report an incident or, as Rape Crisis spokesperson Eleanor Butterworth says, those needing “to talk about any sexual experience that has left [them] feeling like something isn’t right.”

VUWSA Women’s Group President Chrissy said that the group is “extremely passionate about supporting not-for-profit causes like Rape Crisis because we understand how valuable their services are for women”.

Brown said the group was even more motivated to support the cause after Rape Crisis support centres were closed in Christchurch last year due to a lack of government funding.

This year, the VUWSA Women’s group collected on campus again, hoping to raise more than than last year’s $1000.

Last year’s national appeal saw more than 200 volunteers and raised over $40,000, an increase of more than $16,000 on the previous year.

Between January and February this year there were 69 reported cases of assault in the Wellington region and national statistics show that 16–24 year olds are most at risk of being sexually assaulted.

Police estimate that only 9 per cent of sexual assault cases are actually reported. With statistics like these, it’s obvious that assault remains a significant issue within Wellington and New Zealand.

If you need help, advice or simply want to talk about these issues, both Wellington Rape Crisis and VUWSA Women’s Group can help.

You can donate to Wellington Rape Crisis at http://wellingtonrapecrisis.org.nz/donate/

To get involved with VUWSA Women’s Group you can contact them via email or Facebook.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con