May 3, 2015 | by  | in Food |

Recipe: Vanilla and Coconut Protein Slice

I compete in the NZIFBB bodybuilding competitions and as of a week ago I’m back into prep-mode for the Wellington Champs in September, which means I’m back into diet-mode. Yaaaaaaaaaay. Who can’t get excited about eating chicken and broccoli multiple times a day and giving up most ways of adding flavour to food for nearly half a year?

The highlight of my week now is my one and only cheat meal, where I get to eat something of my choosing and not feel awful about it. I try to keep the cheat meal as clean as possible without straying into just-plain-miserable territory, because I don’t want to spend the next six days working those calories off again. As delicious as that would be, it sort of makes the whole process redundant and unnecessarily painful. So I often make desserts like this one, that are amazingly tasty but not actually that terrible for me.
Even if you’re not competing, this is a good recipe for a sweet treat that doesn’t add too much to the hibernation mode we tend to go into during winter.

This recipe makes quite a lot, so halve it if you don’t want protein slice coming out your ears. Otherwise you can always just stick what you don’t eat immediately back into the freezer and leave it there (covered of course—no one likes freezer-burn).

1 cup raw cashews
1 cup raw almonds
1 cup desiccated coconut
2 heaped teaspoons natural almond butter
3 scoops protein powder (I used Gold Standard Cake Batter flavour, but you can use most flavours—just maybe give lime milkshake flavour a miss on this one)
2 droppers full of Vanilla Flavoured Liquid Stevia (can replace with vanilla essence and a handful of dates if you’d rather)
150 ml water

1. Blitz cashews and almonds in food processor until finely ground. If you’re using dates blend them up here too.
2. Add all other ingredients except water and process till combined well.
3. Add water half at a time, turning on the processor in between—you should have a sticky but thick protein gooey mess if you do it right.
4. Squash it out into a slice tin and freeze for at least an hour.
5. Yum.