Students stuck in the suburbs

Flooding in Wellington last week left several students soggy and stranded.

TransMetro was forced to cancel all Wellington train services on Thursday 14 and Friday 15 May after heavy rain left slips on the Kapiti Line and flooding on the Johnsonville and Hutt Valley lines.

Many Victoria University students were left stuck in Wellington overnight, or were unable to attend classes due to the transport disruptions.

Bruce Ryan, a first year law student who lives in Raumati Beach, told Salient he was trapped in Kapiti worrying about potential flooding in his house and those close to him.

Second year politics and philosophy student Grace Carroll was also affected by the bad weather.

The floods meant that she was trapped in Wellington on Thursday night as the route to her house in Lower Hutt was cut off.

“I had an essay due the next day and multiple assignments due the coming week, so it was already a stressful time. Adding to this were the stresses of making an emergency plan for accommodation, food and other necessities amid trying to study, I was absolutely knackered the next day through classes,” Carroll said.

As well as the disruption to students, some halls of residence provided emergency accommodation for students and academics that were stranded in central Wellington.

Overheard@Vic was abuzz with updates about the weather, directly advising students about the effects of flooding and routes that were cut off.

On a lighter note, one student suggested that “[t]he flooding in the Hutt is the Gods’ punishment for it being such a shithole”.

Victoria University students also provided more hands-on help.

The Wellington Student Volunteer Army was formed on Thursday to help with the clean-up of Kapiti and Porirua—the group currently has over 100 members.

A small number were out and about in Porirua over the weekend, shovelling mud that had washed down from the hills and blanketed a number of properties in Rangituhi Crescent.

VUWSA President Rick Zwaan, who organised the army, told Stuff that “it was pleasing to see students giving up their time, especially with mid-year assignments due and exams just around the corner”.

The rain was a one in 50 years event, with some areas receiving 42mm in one hour.