Wellington: “Hi, cycle lanes!”

Cycle lanes: “Hi.”

The Wellington City Council has proposed a new cycle lane plan in the hope of making Wellington at least seem like a cycle-friendly, modern city.

According to Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown, 76 per cent of Wellingtonians said they would cycle within the city and suburbs if there were more protected bike lanes.

The proposed cycling framework would cater to both experienced and inexperienced cyclists and builds on previous cycle policies that were put forward in 2008.

One of the proposed lanes would see cycleway access for students up to the University campus in Kelburn.

In a council press release, Wade-Brown said the Council is seeking to tailor “cycleways in Wellington with a range of safe cycling options that will fit with the different streets, town centres and parks of our city.”

Wade-Brown proposed to “optimise streets for people on foot, on bike, on buses and in cars” with “all people movement” being prioritised over on-street parking.

Members of the public speaking at the Council meeting last Thursday were overwhelmingly in favour of the proposal, with most identifying as cyclists and/or bike enthusiasts. One Berhampore resident, Curtis Nixon, was hopeful that those who ride scooters and skateboards would also be able to frequent the proposed safety lanes.

Some councillors raised concerns about the effects the cycleways might have on on-street parking within the CBD and suburbs.

There was also some debate amongst members about the controversial plans for the Southern cycleway in Island Bay, which drew 729 submissions from local residents, 45 per cent of which were opposed.

The Wellington City Council will meet again in June to consult over whether or not to approve the cycleway proposal and assign priorities for specific routes.

10. International Queer in Review