June 27, 2015 | by  | in News Online Only |

Salient seeks new contributors

Student magazine and serial puzzle miscreant Salient is seeking new talent, according to information leaked from its impossible-to-find offices.

The magazine is celebrating its recent awards of “Stiffest Ply” and “Most Chafing” at the New Zealand Annual Toilet Paper Awards by announcing a new intake of interns and columnists.

According to the VUWSA accounts office, unpaid internships at Salient are “a great opportunity, particularly for our salaries line”. A Salient spokesperson said that many Salient internships—which involve reporting on the news and attending BYOs—later lead to rewarding work at publications like the Washington Post, Bild and The Guardian, although the spokesperson also admitted that this was baseless speculation.

Salient is also understood to be looking for additional columnists. In particular, it is looking for an agony aunt and an internet writer, but it is also open to other ideas.

Eager writers are encouraged to send a covering letter to editor@salient.org.nz. Columnist applications should also include a 300-word mockup of the proposed column.

1. From within the fallout zone
  2. Access Denied
  4. Ngāi Tauira
  6. Eight Things I Hate About Call of Duty
  7. Horoscope
  8. Protests against rape culture draw hundreds
  9. Capital C
  10. The Sellout — Paul Beatty

Flat out of options — what’s going on with Wellington’s rental madness?

: The words “renting crisis” have been thrown about a fair bit over the last few weeks. But do commentators and politicians get what this actually means for students and other renters struggling to find a place to live?