June 1, 2015 | by  | in Food |

The best chocolate mousse you’ve ever made

The cool thing about this recipe (apart from how good it tastes) is that you can flavour it by your choice in chocolate. Most recently I used the Whittaker’s Dark Almond chocolate block and it was soooo good, but really most chocolates would work.

I made this for my boyfriend one night because chocolate mousse is his all-time favourite dessert and he’s picky about what is and isn’t a good chocolate mousse, but the verdict was positive—the best he’d ever eaten.

You’ll need:

• 250g chocolate of your choice
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 4 egg whites
  • ⅓ cup milk
  • 3 tbsp white sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup cream

How to:

1. Melt the chocolate. You can do this either in a double-boiler (aka a glass bowl on top of a pot of simmering water on the stove) or in the microwave. If you’re using the microwave, zap it 30 seconds at a time, stir it, and go again. This makes sure it melts evenly and doesn’t burn any of it. Set it aside to cool slightly.
  2. Mix the milk and sugar together and bring to the boil in a small saucepan.
  3. Lightly beat the egg yolks with a fork, then very slowly add the hot milk to the eggs, whisking the whole time. This is called tempering the eggs, and you have to add the milk slowly or you will end up with scrambled eggs—not so delicious as a mousse base.
  4. Add this mixture to the chocolate (or the other way around, whatever) and combine well.
  5. Whisk your egg whites over a double-boiler until hot to the touch. Add the salt, remove from heat and continue to whisk until you have stiff peaks forming.
  6. Whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
  7. Add ⅓ of the egg whites to the chocolate/egg mixture, gently fold in, and then add the remaining ⅔. Be sure to mix in gently because you want to keep as much of the aeration that you spent all that time beating into the egg whites.
  8. Do the same thing with the cream. Add ⅓ to the mixture and very gently fold in, then add in the other ⅔ and fold in gently.
  9. Pour into serving bowls and put into the fridge for at least an hour to set.
  10. Yum.