July 12, 2015 | by  | in Music |

In Case You Missed It: The Mid-Year Break Edition

If you were lucky enough to head back to your sleepy hometown over the break—where Mum still uses a fax machine and Dad is totally not down to binge on Orange Is the New Black with you—then chances are you would’ve missed a few of these absolute gems in the time since we last met. You can thank me later for bringing you back to 2015.

Seven Music Moments

1. Foals released “What Went Down”, the title track of their forthcoming album of the same name. It’s the kind of rock song that will revolutionise and epitomises everything that rock music is heading towards. If you haven’t treated your ears to it yet, stop everything and YouTube this shit ASAP. It will debilitate you in the best way possible.
  2. Rihanna created what might just be the world’s most terrifying music video for her already twisted AF song “Bitch Better Have My Money”. With an excessive amount of violence, nudity and blood, it was always going to be a success, but never did people expect so much bang for their buck. Coming in at just over seven minutes, it might seem like a bit of a commitment, but the time will fly by and leave you wondering what on exactly you just watched. A work of art or bad taste? The jury’s definitely still out on this one.
  3. Beck treated the world to a new tune titled “Dreams”. Where his last album Morning Phase was a perfect storm of laidback folkie tunes, this new one looks set to see the cute-as-a-button bohemian exploring the thus far unexplored realm of soulful, groovy dance-rock. No further info on the album has been released.
  4. Red-hot electronica duo ODESZA announced their first ever Wellington show. They’ll be playing at San Fran on 24 September and you should definitely be there. With that being said, tickets are $60 so you should probably start saving now.
  5. Glastonbury happened, with Florence and The Machine and Jamie xx being the clear standouts. If you’re at a loss for how to spend your first week of uni before the assignments kick in, an entire day can easily be lost burying yourself in the festival’s highlights reel.
  6. The Libertines announced their first album in over a decade! Like OMG WTH this is too much. Thus far all we know is that the album will be titled Anthems For Doomed Youth, that it is a “her”, and that she will be released on 4 September. If the title track “Gunga Din” is anything to base predictions on then this record is set to be an absolute banger.
  7. Finally, Apple Music launched, and despite a number of flaws that will undoubtedly be ironed out in the coming months, it’s pretty fucking brilliant. Kiwi ex-pat Zane Lowe fronts their flagship station Beats1, and if you’re not out of bed to listen to him live, he posts his daily playlist for you to revisit whenever you fancy. Deny it all you want, but you only have to look around a packed out lecture in KK303 to see that we’re all a bunch of Apple sluts at heart. So uninstall that peasant Spotify app and jump on the Apple Music bandwagon, because God forbid any of us let someone from a less sophisticated urban centre beat us to the “next big thing”.

Five Albums

1. Leftfield—Alternative Light Source
  2. Sharon Van Etten—I Don’t Want To Let You Down Tonight
  3. SOAK—Before We Forgot How To Dream
  4. Jamie xx—In Colour
  5. Wolf Alice—My Love Is Cool

Three Songs

1. Jamie xx—“Gosh”
  2. Chet Faker—“Bend”
  3. Leon Bridges—“Coming Home”

One Kanye-ism

Kanye declared himself the “greatest living rock star on the planet” in front of a Glastonbury crowd that didn’t even want him there, and just one night before some of Britain’s most cherished rock heroes, The Who, were to headline the exact same stage. Stay humble Kanye, stay humble.