Monumental nightmare occurs as computers shit themselves

Last week the University’s newly introduced myAllocator system well and truly failed to provide incoming trimester two students with access to tutorial sign ups.

The system overloaded after the number of students using the programme to sign up for tutorials exceeded the system’s capacity.

The malfunction came with the message to “remind all of your friends to logoff when they have finished, otherwise their sessions will remain active for longer than necessary and therefore prevent you using the system”.

The system capacity of 500 active users was a default setting that University technicians had failed to change during installation.

According to the University’s Director of Student Academic Services Pam Thorburn, the default setting “should have been identified in earlier testing” and expressed “the inconvenience to students at the start of the new trimester”.

While the University assured Salient that the issue was identified and resolved in “less than three hours”, students took to social media right up until this publication’s time of print to complain about the seemingly ineffectual system.

Students went as far as launching a petition on in the hope of restoring S-Cubed back to its former glory—“glory” being, you know, a system that actually functions.

The petition declared, “students need to be able to enrol into[sic] the tutorial of their choice more easily. A website that fails in design and capacity to meet this need, must be changed”.

While there was speculation that VUWSA might endorse the petition, the VUWSA Executive maintained that the issue was with myAllocator’s implementation, rather than with the system itself.

Support for the system was also maintained by the University. According to Thorburn, “myAllocator contains more up-to-date and accurate information as it is integrated with other university timetable systems”, which S-Cubed could not provide.

Despite this, unhappy punters took to Overheard@Vic and the page quickly turned into what looked like an Apple troubleshooting forum.

The website’s interface was also described as “half baked”, “ugly”, “unintuitive” and a “slow piece of shit”.

Some Highlights

“Hello? This is the 90s. We would like our technology back”

“My Allocator is a joke”

“This is another perfect example of Victoria University trying to blackout student voices”

“My allocator don’t.- Nicki Minaj”

“Good one Vic, 20,000+ students, but only 500 people can use the system at one time”

“and you thought getting Hurricanes tickets was hard”