July 19, 2015 | by  | in Food |

Recipe: Good Old Chicken Stir Fry

Purchasing all the new textbooks you need for those three pages of notes your lecturer insists you need can be bank-breaking, but dinner for the flat doesn’t have to be. This recipe is a bit of a “kitchen-sink” sort of deal—anything can be substituted depending on what you’ve got in the fridge. I’ve written it so that it’s high in protein and full of veggies. This way, at least, dinner won’t be as bad for you as textbook purchases are.

If you’re feeling really organised, make a marinade for the chicken from the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and lemon juice, and let it soak up all that flavour. I’d recommend doing this in the morning or night before to give it time to marinade fully.

Serves 4

You’ll need:

• 600g chicken breast, diced
  • 300g middle bacon, diced
  • 3–4 cups colourful veggies (think beans, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, carrots, capsicum, spring onion)
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
  • 1 tsp crushed garlic
  • 1 tsp crushed ginger
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • Salt & pepper to taste

Serve with 1/2 cup of rice per person if you’re particularly hungry.

How to:

1. In a large frying pan, sear the chicken on all sides on a high heat along with the garlic and ginger. Season with salt and pepper while you do this.
  2. Move the chicken to the outer edges of the pan and add the bacon to the middle. Shuffle it around so it all crisps up evenly.
  3. Throw in the veggies and turn down the heat a little to let them cook through.
  4. Add the soy sauce, lemon juice and sweet chilli sauce.
  5. Cook for a further three minutes. Take off the heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
  6. Serve.

Boom. One pan, 15 minutes, and dinner is done. Use the extra time not doing tonnes of dishes to walk to your nearest bottle store and find yourself a nice wine ($10 or less, of course) to start your night off with, or maybe call your mum and say hi. I’d recommend avoiding anything too productive though—that’s just not what Re-O Week is about.

1. A Land Long Clouded
  2. Double Colonisation: West Papua in the Pacific
  6. Interview with Gayaal Iddamalgoda
  7. GIG GUIDE
  9. Access Denied
  10. A review of American Gods in lieu of its television adaptation

not Dev

: - SPONSORED - eyes all opened hit the sun tentative your pitch was wobbly like your lower lip   I couldn’t fix the movement got seasick inside your sadness   so you left the house for sausage meat and I stayed put glued PVA to the bed   a pillow cased strewn duve