July 19, 2015 | by  | in Food |

Recipe: Good Old Chicken Stir Fry

Purchasing all the new textbooks you need for those three pages of notes your lecturer insists you need can be bank-breaking, but dinner for the flat doesn’t have to be. This recipe is a bit of a “kitchen-sink” sort of deal—anything can be substituted depending on what you’ve got in the fridge. I’ve written it so that it’s high in protein and full of veggies. This way, at least, dinner won’t be as bad for you as textbook purchases are.

If you’re feeling really organised, make a marinade for the chicken from the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and lemon juice, and let it soak up all that flavour. I’d recommend doing this in the morning or night before to give it time to marinade fully.

Serves 4

You’ll need:

• 600g chicken breast, diced
  • 300g middle bacon, diced
  • 3–4 cups colourful veggies (think beans, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, carrots, capsicum, spring onion)
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
  • 1 tsp crushed garlic
  • 1 tsp crushed ginger
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • Salt & pepper to taste

Serve with 1/2 cup of rice per person if you’re particularly hungry.

How to:

1. In a large frying pan, sear the chicken on all sides on a high heat along with the garlic and ginger. Season with salt and pepper while you do this.
  2. Move the chicken to the outer edges of the pan and add the bacon to the middle. Shuffle it around so it all crisps up evenly.
  3. Throw in the veggies and turn down the heat a little to let them cook through.
  4. Add the soy sauce, lemon juice and sweet chilli sauce.
  5. Cook for a further three minutes. Take off the heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
  6. Serve.

Boom. One pan, 15 minutes, and dinner is done. Use the extra time not doing tonnes of dishes to walk to your nearest bottle store and find yourself a nice wine ($10 or less, of course) to start your night off with, or maybe call your mum and say hi. I’d recommend avoiding anything too productive though—that’s just not what Re-O Week is about.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con