July 12, 2015 | by  | in Food |

Review: Flavours Indian Restaurant, Karori

I think it’s actually been over a year since I was last in Karori—there just hasn’t been any reason to go there. So when the man suggested an Indian restaurant in Karori I thought, “can’t we just go somewhere in town?” We were, after all, already in town. But apparently not. He said to trust him, it would be worth it.

We pulled up to Marsden Village and went into the restaurant. It was a chilly and miserable Saturday night, so the fireplace in the middle of the dining area was a welcome comfort, even if the warmth didn’t quite reach our table. The restaurant itself didn’t look like anything particularly special, but when we ran into a couple of friends there who live in Miramar and had made the trip to Karori just for dinner, I decided to give it a chance.

The menu offers a great range of choices, including both the usual suspects (butter chicken, korma, tikka masala etc.) and quite a few more interesting options. I ordered a chicken madras with medium spice, and the man ordered his all time favourite (and the entire reason he wanted to go all the way to Karori to get it) murgh saag, also medium.

Just before our entree of onion bhaji arrived (which, by the way, is big enough to share between two hungry people), the waitress gave us each a hot towel to clean our hands with. Although it did feel weird because we weren’t on a plane (I think the waitress noticed my confusion too), it is actually a brilliant idea for a cuisine often eaten with your hands. I loved it.

The food was delicious. The chicken pieces were more tender than I’ve had in a long time, and the dishes were full of flavour and oomph. Most excitingly, the menu is really reasonably priced. For an entree, two mains, two naan breads (one of which was filled with chicken), and two mango lassi, it cost us around $40.

As much as I’m loathe to admit it, the man was right. Well worth the trip to the other side of town for. I’m already looking forward to the next time I go there, so I can try more of the menu. There’s nothing on the menu I wouldn’t try.

Flavours also offer a takeaway menu, so you don’t have to limit yourself to days when you want to go out for dinner properly.