July 19, 2015 | by  | in The Moan Zone |

Welcome Back 2.0

We’re all back in the capital, although I don’t know if you can call those ten days off a “break”. We were eager to get home and have a well-deserved hiatus after all the work that uni threw at us for the past couple of months. However, ten days off was barely enough time to lay some groundwork on that girl back home—on the other hand, it was long enough because we found ourselves bored shitless after the first couple of days. Being back home is similar in a way to eating a chocolate chip cookie then realising they’re fucking raisins—it promises so much but lets you down over and over again.

One of the best things about being home is the heating. Freshers won’t understand this; I know I didn’t last year. Te Puni was so warm I had no idea why everyone was complaining that Wellington was so damn cold. This year I understand completely, but I still don’t understand why I have a draught coming into my room even though my windows are closed. But due to this experience, I can somewhat say that I have experienced life in Vic House conditions and frankly, I don’t like it one bit.

Now that it is the start of the new tri, I think we can all appreciate and enjoy the first couple of weeks where we have no work due, (unless you do Law) because without a doubt it’s going to be the only time for the rest of the tri where you can do next to nothing and not feel guilty. It also gives you time to reflect on your performance from the previous tri, with many people adopting the “New Tri, New Me” theory. I, for one, learnt that crying is not the best study method and putting baking powder on your grades does in fact make them rise. Dad jokes aside, remember Cs do get degrees, but they don’t necessarily get jobs.

Tip of the Week: Wear stripes to your lectures and tests because in most courses it’s important to get the basics right first.

See you ‘round campus

Tom and Luke

P.S. For all you freshers, I bet you never realised how much of a novelty three-ply toilet paper was until you moved into a hall.