July 12, 2015 | by  | in Fashion |

White Sandal Girl

After a fairly unsuccessful semester studying fashion design at Massey—involving a surprising amount of sewing plastic, cotton wool and papier mâché together—I have now returned to Vic.

Having experienced the wildly disparate student populations of the two universities, I now regard myself as quite the seasoned cultural anthropologist. Despite glaring differences (no one at Massey would be seen dead in the leggings + hoodie combination so regularly observed shuffling through the Hub, or the baffling puffer jacket + jandal ensemble), I found the common denominator to be the ubiquitous White Sandal Girl.

I have conducted close observation of this subculture in its varying natural habitats (instead of a TV, my flat has a window looking directly into The Cube. I wish I was joking) to the extent of actual immersion (I spent my first year leading a rather displaced existence at Te Puni*).

Despite never having previously encountered the term, everyone I mention it to is immediately able to identify *those* girls. However, for the less enlightened amongst us, the White Sandal Girl is characterised by her uniform striped shirt, abundance of casual sportswear, excessive incorporation of the KW Runaway Girl logo, and of course, the definitive White Sandals.

Typical behavioural traits of the White Sandal Girl include instagramming Wednesday night two-for-one cocktails at Library and snapping #fitspo selfies at the top of Mount Vic, complete with enough brand placement for a Nike commercial. They tend to travel in packs, dressed with such uncanny similarity one is led to question whether they actually pre-organise a group ensemble before leaving the house.

From my extensive field research, I am able to conclude that White Sandal Girls of the design school persuasion do not fundamentally differ from BCom White Sandal Girls, aside from lacking a Vic Books takeaway coffee cup in hand.

*Disclaimer: resulting from this mass exposure, I have been so deeply affected by the White Sandal phenomenon that I now exclusively wear Black Platforms.

1. elbows says:

very nice

1. Meet the Candidates: VUW Students and Grads Running for Council
  2. Climate Strike : Take Two
  3. The Privilege of Ignoring Race
  4. La’u Pele. My beloved.
  5. My Name is My Name
  6. ‘Then You Can’t Tell Me Not***g Right?’
  7. The best things in life aren’t free
  8. Free Speech at risk at University – Shalom Students Association
  9. Thursdays in Black Continuing Kaupapa with Club Launch
  10. Largest-ever teachers’ strike scheduled for Wednesday