Buses to become “above ground subways”

Which are apparently different to “trains”

Wellington’s bus system is on the way to becoming “modern, faster, rapid and truly top notch”.

The Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC), the WCC and the New Zealand Transport Agency are now in the process of looking at how their proposed bus system will be put into practice.

The system’s main feature will be the newly designed high-capacity buses, modelled on similar versions in Europe and parts of Asia, under the Bus Rapid Transit system.

The new buses have been likened to “above ground subways” which will have their own dedicated lanes and intersection priorities in the hope of lowering traffic congestion while also being environmentally friendly.

Along with changes to the buses themselves, the routes of the new system will be revised to provide an overall better experience with all of the changes are aimed at encouraging the use of public transport.

However, the new system is not without compromise. Popular routes, especially with students, will be changed including the No. 18 Campus Connection bus from Karori to Miramar used by both Victoria and Massey University students.

While VUWSA was vehement in its opposition to replacing the No. 18, the service will be replaced by two separate services that will travel the same route, stopping at three hubs at the Railway Station, Courtenay Place and Karori Tunnel.

When asked about the current public transport system, other students welcomed the changes, claiming the current system is “shit”.

GWRC Public Transport spokesperson Paul Swain insisted that the new bus system would “give people more access to all day high frequency bus services, reduce bus congestion through the CBD making bus travel around and across Wellington simpler and quicker”.

If all goes to plan the new system will be in place by 2017, until then public feedback is welcome.

1