Cue the quarter-life crisis

The results are in, and it’s still shit.

NZUSA has released the preliminary results of its July 2015 Income and Expenditure Survey and, predictably, everything’s still a bit shit.

According to NZUSA, the survey is New Zealand’s “only significant independent research in the area of student income/expenditure and debt”.

Of the students surveyed, two-thirds worked over the summer break, 75 per cent of them for more than eight weeks.

Results of the survey showed the average fees for full-time students were $7054, up from $6246, while the average tuition fees for part-time students have increased by 31 per cent.

In 2011 one in four students identified fees as having an influence on their choice of course. That number has now increased to 44 per cent.

73 per cent percent of participants (up from 65 per cent in 2011) expected their student loan to have a significant impact on their ability to save for their retirement, and 70 per cent said they expected it to have an impact on their ability to buy a house.

By the numbers

• 65% of students said their student loan debt would have a significant impact on whether or not they would undertake further study
  • 44% of full time students said they did not have enough money to meet their basic needs
  • 51% rise in the number of domestic students enrolled in tertiary education between 1994 and 2013
  • 15 years the average length of loan repayment forecast for university leavers in 2011

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t