August 16, 2015 | by  | in Science |

Hard on all life long

Scientists recently found that damselflies (a slimmer, better looking version of a dragonfly) are basically super horny no matter what age. Researchers at the University of Leeds tagged more than 1000 damselflies in Hampshire, England and found that these horn-dog flies mate for most of their lives at the same pond. “For the damselflies, it doesn’t matter how much sex they have had in the past, they can still keep on going until they die and they don’t appear to pay a price for it,” reports Dr Christopher Hassall, one of the leading researchers.

However, the lifespan of a damselfly is quite short; most die within a week of arriving at the pond. This barely leaves enough time for getting it on. It’s like that episode of Futurama in which Fry, Kif, Zapp and Bender get abducted by Amazon women and are sentenced to “death by snu snu” (sex).

Female damselflies will produce eggs in which males will line up to fertilise. This might involve biting and fighting, some rough foreplay, and once the eggs are fertilised, the successful male will guard the female until she lays her eggs. After that, the female will fly away to generate a new batch of eggs and continue the process again. Talk about the village bicycle.

Another fab thing about the damselfly is when they are doing the snu snu, their bodies form a love heart, and sex lasts more than 30 minutes. After copulation, the male sticks around for another 90 minutes while the female chooses a site to lay her eggs. This is a 100 per cent increase* on the human male, which usually makes do with a pat on the back followed by a roll over and go to sleep.

This research provides scientists with a greater understanding of other insect populations such as mosquitos and teste flies, and allows insights into how reproduction works across a life cycle. In the case of the damselfly, reproduction never stops, no matter what age!

*Disclaimer: This may not be scientifically accurate.