Vic students only slightly dumber than average!

Woooooo!

The Tertiary Education Commission recently published its annual review of the performance of New Zealand’s tertiary education institutes, including Victoria.

The indicators are meant to provide a comparison between Tertiary Education Organisations (TEOs) in terms of performance and course completion.

In terms of general performances, Tertiary Education Minister Steven Joyce claimed “tertiary education organisations have increased achievement rates across all sectors” and used these increases to as evidence that “the Government’s approach of measuring and incentivising educational performance rather than just the number of enrolments is working”.

Tertiary Education Union President Sandra Grey remains skeptical of the increased completion rates. “When you attach funding to performance measurements you create incentives for institutions to game the system,” she said. “That’s bad for education, and bad for credibility.”

In 2014, Victoria saw an increase in their rates of qualification completion (from 76 per cent to 81 per cent) but a distinct drop in the percentage of students progressing on into postgraduate study, falling from 75 per cent to 56 per cent.

Victoria still lags behind the national average on these two measures, ranking fifth-equal on completion of qualifications and second-bottom on progression to higher levels of qualification.

Victoria’s roll dropped by around three thousand students enrolled between 2013 and 2014, but the proportions of various ethnicities and subjects studied saw almost no change.

graphs

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June