Another year, another forum

Once again student politicos and friends-of-hacks gathered in the Hub to hear this year’s candidates tout their experience and use catchphrases about the collective student voice.

Current President Rick Zwaan, whose haircut really isn’t that bad, welcomed audience members and told punters to “tweet the thing on the thing”. Another rousing opening by our student figurehead, now in his Zwaansong.

Minus some exceptions, candidates did a good job of giving their credentials and peppering in some topical zingers when appropriate (shout out to Rory Lenihan-Ikin for his “stick-on moustache” joke, A+ from this reporter, would trade again).

Almost all of the nominees were questioned by audience members about the “will they/ won’t they NZUSA referendum”, and most said they were willing to vote yes to staying with the association.

The resulting looks from Zwaan and NZUSA President Rory McCourt—who observed proceedings from a balcony above—reminded Salient of some sort of pass-ag family dinner; Mum and Dad were fighting again and the kids didn’t know whom to ask for dessert. It was tense.

Everyone was diplomatic in their responses when it came to the NZUSA issue, with basically everyone expressing their willingness to maintain a “united student voice” and a “strong national student voice” and all concluded that the referendum was “ultimately up to students”.

Treasurer-Secretary nominee George Grainger talked a lot about cash cushions and surpluses, but we liked the cut of his jib. He looked like the accountant dad Salient always wanted. (Also he said he wouldn’t let VUWSA talk about money in committee so often, so future Salient writers might actually BE ABLE TO WRITE SOME SHIT ABOUT THE EXEC MEETING).

Club rep nominees and to-be Engagement Officers emphasised the need for more student PaRtIEs and EvEnT$$, and Presidential candidate Liam Gallagher-Power claimed “even Lincoln has a Garden Party…”. The aspiring Execcies also committed to the ongoing facilitating of stress-free study weeks, interclub relationships and all round advocating.

Publications Committee nominees were quizzed on whether they would keep Salient TV and how their background lent itself to deciding the future of your fav student mag.

The main takeaway from the forum was that “everyone should work together” and “everyone will try their hardest to do their best”. That’s what they all say.

Top Five Most Used Phrases

• “passionate”
  • “student voice”
  • “advocate”
  • “reforming” a system and/or experience
  • “raise awareness”

Voting for next year’s VUWSA Executive opens on Tuesday 22 September and closes Thursday 24 at 5pm. You can do this online at