September 27, 2015 | by  | in Editorial |

Editorial—Issue 23, 2015

Welcome to 2015’s Opinion Issue! But first, an announcement.

It’s with an inordinate level of excitement that I can now reveal Salient’s editorial team for next year. I’m thrilled to announce that Emma Hurley and Jayne Mulligan will be co-editors of Salient in 2016.

This year as a news reporter, Emma has broken many of our biggest and best stories, including the University contracting prison labour for its laundry services, and the Chancellor responding to the lack of women on University Council by saying he’s “not hung up on gender”. Emma’s thoroughness, patience and sharp critical eye currently make her the best news writer in New Zealand student media.

Jayne has been books editor this year, a role she has performed with aplomb. She has also penned a number of outstanding feature articles, including profiles on book collector Susan Price and reproductive rights advocate Dame Margaret Sparrow. Jayne has a rare eye for detail, and a knack for telling moving stories and capturing personalities in print.

They’ve put together a comprehensive and exciting vision for Salient next year. I would say more, but I’ll leave it to them—watch this space next week.

Anyway, back to what I was talking about before Emma and Jayne so rudely interrupted me. This week is the Opinion Issue—the annual issue in which we give the magazine over (almost) entirely to our writers’ views. There’s only one brief: write about whatever the fuck you want.

It’s often said that opinions are like arseholes; in which case, welcome to the issue of twenty-seven arseholes. Much like arseholes, opinions are wonderful things that are essential to our health. And as I’m sure you’ll agree, having a good dump every now and then is an unmatched relief. Pity those without opinions; I’m not sure what the cognitive equivalent of a colostomy bag would be, but I can’t imagine it’s pretty.

I’m not going to lie; putting this issue together has been a gigantic brainache. But it’s all been worth it (though Ella and Lily might disagree). Thank you to everyone I nagged, cajoled, bullied and bribed into writing this week—the diversity, salience (heyyy), and sheer randomness of the views herein were a pleasure to edit, as they hopefully will be to read. Enjoy this bizarre fucking smorgasbord!

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con