September 6, 2015 | by  | in Visual Arts |

Lam On Lam

Sharon Lam is a local multimedia artist, with her work spanning across everything from pencil drawings to biro drawings. While an elusive figure, Salient was lucky enough to be graced with a rare interview.

Lam: Hi Sharon, thanks so much for sitting down with me.

Lam: No worries. Anything for the fans. Sharon waves like the Queen to an empty room.

Lam: Recently you received some unflattering criticism for one of your projects, what are your thoughts on this?

Lam: I knew this would come up! It was written by Bryce Galloway, on the national Zine Review website, covering one of my collaborative literary projects. He said I was “more self-indulgent than amusing”, I have absolutely no idea where this came from.

Lam: Self-indulgent? Wow, completely left field.

Lam: Yes, exactly. He also said that he wasn’t sure if I should “drink more, or try harder”, which is also ridiculous because I am always drunk and everyone knows that if you try, it doesn’t count.

Lam: What projects are you currently working on?

Lam: Absolutely no one commissioned me to do a comic series called Architecture School Bully, so I just completed that. Now I’m solely focusing on my moss photography.

Lam: Finally, you also recently exhibited as part of a group show, can you tell me more about this?

Lam: My photo-tees were part of Hers, an exhibit for VUWSA’s Women’s Week. I was flattered to be included in such a talented group, much kudos to the Women’s Group for organising the event.

Lam: I believe you encouraged visitors to sniff the t-shirts? What was this about?

Lam: The t-shirts featured photographs that I claimed had smells captured within them.

Lam: Did they?

Sharon attempts to wink.

View Sharon Lam’s moss photography at

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America