September 21, 2015 | by  | in News Salient TV |

Taking refuge in the capital

Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown has launched a petition to increase New Zealand’s refugee quota from 750 to 1500 over five years along with Masterton Mayor Lyn Patterson and Carterton Mayor John Booth.

Booth told the Wairarapa Chronicle “I think what has been requested is a feasible approach and a balanced way of doing it” and pointed to the emotional impact of refugees’ struggles.

“I saw that picture of the Syrian boy that had died and I think you’d have to be a cold-hearted person if that didn’t pull at the heart strings,” he said.

Wellington Deputy Mayor Justin Lester also spoke of the benefits increased refugees number would bring to the capital.

“You’ve seen it in the past. In Wellington we host a lot of refugees, around 200 to 250 per annum, and they add and contribute to society. [Refugees] give us a cultural understanding and awareness, making our country much stronger and richer.”

It is not just politicians pushing for an increase in refugee number. Anglican Bishop of Wellington Justin Duckworth said congregations across the lower North Island have offered to house and financially support 40 families—approximately 160 people.

“As a country we have been criticised for not doing enough to respond to the refugee crisis. We want to say loudly and clearly, as the Anglican Church of New Zealand, that we are prepared to help in a practical way. If resources are the limiting factor in our government’s decision over what level to increase the quota by, we are committing to take over the wellbeing and support of 40 families,” Rev. Duckworth said. 

Wellington has the largest Syrian community in New Zealand and have taken in 67 Syrian refugees since November. Most have settled in Berhampore, Newtown and the Hutt Valley.  

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos