The next morning will always be shit

A team of international researchers from Canada and the Netherlands have studied hangover symptoms and found that there is no real hangover cure. (NOT EVEN DRINKING WATER.)

Over 800 students were surveyed and 54 per cent ate food after drinking (including bad food and breakfasts) in their attempts to avoid hangovers, while more than half drank water before going to bed.

Although previous studies have claimed that approximately 25 per cent of drinkers don’t ever get hangovers (jog on), Utrecht University professor Dr Joris Verster insists that the relationship is more straightforward: “the more you drink, the more likely you are to get a hangover”.

“Drinking water may help against thirst and a dry mouth, but it will not take away the misery, the headache and the nausea,” Verster said.

The true causes of a hangover remain murky (much like your memories of last night), with the Mayo Clinic listing possible causes from alcohol producing more urine, alcohol causing low blood sugar, and liquor containing congeners and/or irritating the lining of the stomach.

Other studies have found that a build up of the compound acetaldehyde, a byproduct of the body processing alcohol, may produce hangover-like symptoms.

According to a Southern Cross Health Society poll two months ago, 61 per cent of Wellingtonians had gone to work hungover, while 35 per cent of us had pulled a sickie due to the effects of the night before. (Don’t worry though, Dunedin is waaayyy worse.)

The survey also found that people were most likely to call on water, pain relief, coffee and greasy breakfasts as their cure.

Research from the Salient office has produced the following suggestions:

• A kebab in bed with a cup of tea (although you will find barbecue sauce on your pillow)
  • A banana, one panadol, one nurofen, and water before falling asleep
  • Water, coffee, TV
  • Peanut butter on toast when you get home, run in the morning
  • Blue Powerade, fried chicken and a walk in the cold the next day
  • Grilled cheese when you get home
  • Juice of a whole lemon in water the next morning
  • Drink White Russians, the milk helps your stomach.