VUWSA election’s got #twittergame

It’s that time again: a time for democracy and equal opportunity for all. It’s also time for people to take the piss.

The 2015 VUWSA elections are on the horizon and the candidates for the various roles within VUWSA have been announced. Two candidates will run for President—current Academic Vice-President Jonathan Gee and late entry Liam Gallagher-Power. The full list of candidates’ names and positions are available on VUWSA’s website.

Along with a vote for the candidates, students will also be asked whether VUWSA should remain a part of the New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA). VUWSA was a founding member of the association but left in 2014 after it decided that paying the $45,000 levy to NZUSA was not in students’ best interests.

Several “election watches” have sprung up on Twitter in the last few weeks, offering deep insight and equal-opportunity debate about those running for positions. By that we mean just taking the piss, which is absolutely fantastic.

@VUWSAWatch2015, @VUWSAwatchOG and @realVUWSAwatch have stormed our news feed with all three accounts fuelled by what seems to be an undying adulation for current President Rick Zwaan.

Despite basically trolling everyone who throws their hat in the ring, the election watches occasionally provide helpful information about the election, and according to some students may even motivate them to vote this time around.

Regardless of their contribution to democracy, the Zwaan-themed memes and snarky asides can only be described as “on point”.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t