We fucking love science

More money for science

The Government will spend $96.5 million across 48 science research programmes over the next four years, as part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s (MBIE) 2015 Science Investment Round.

MBIE’s Science Board, with help from independent experts, selected 48 research programmes to fund from a total of 157 proposals. University-led projects were awarded $53.8 million, or 67 per cent, of the funding.

Victoria University received $5 million in funding for research projects including treatment for multiple sclerosis and polyQ diseases, communications infrastructure, anti-foul marine paints, and medical implants. The figure is a reduction on last year, when the University received $7 million.

Professor Kate McGrath, Vice-Provost (Research) at Victoria University, said the funding was “an outstanding result for Victoria and reflects our research capability in areas that are important to the New Zealand economy”.

The University of Auckland received the biggest share of funding at over $14 million. This will fund eight major research projects including electric car planning, a drone device to analyse farm pastures, and family violence prevention.

The other New Zealand universities were also given funding for research projects including the resilience of New Zealand lakes, bee-friendly pesticides, studies of surf breaks, and sensors to measure brain-oxygen levels.

Thirty-three per cent of the funding round went to non-university enterprises to fund research in high value manufacturing and services, hazards and infrastructure, environmental research, energy and mineral, and biological industries.

This includes GNS Science, who were awarded $9.6 million for research into oil and gas discoveries in New Zealand basins.

Last year 90 per cent of Victoria University’s external funding for research was from Government sources—mostly contestable funding from MBIE, the Royal Society of New Zealand and the Health Research Council.

“Research funding is important to the University as it allows more of our staff to progress cutting edge projects and further develop their knowledge and expertise,” Prof McGrath said.

Who got what?

University of Auckland: $14 million
University of Waikato: $10 million
Lincoln University: $6.2 million
University of Otago: $5.7 million
Massey University: $5 million
Victoria University: $5 million
Auckland University of Technology: $2.4 million
University of Canterbury: $1.8 million

1