October 4, 2015 | by  | in Editorial |

Editorial—Issue 24, 2015

We’re taking over.     

Sam, in the immortal words of Jeff from Survivor, it’s time for you to go. We are about to storm the office like they stormed the Bastille, except with less civil war. We will be clearing out the old pizza boxes and beer bottles, and bringing in flowers, wine and a fuck ton of flagrant idealism.

Emma is about to finish her degree (has it been three years already?) and will spend the summer making coffee for sweaty and confused tourists with fanny packs. She hails from a cute little town called Pukekohe, and moved to Wellington to start a better life.

Jayne has been working at Vic Books while she decided what to do with her degree. She’s still not really sure; in the words of Tavi Gevinson, she’s still “figuring it out”.

And so, with our powers combined, we persuaded the selection committee to let us take charge of Salient and be co-editors next year.

We were going to make a Sky TV channel, a few feature films, and host our own music festival called Salientbury. Then we looked at the budget. We will have to stick with a magazine, website, and social media channels.

Salient next year will be a voice for students—it will keep you informed and amused, and strive to make your life less shit. We will be throwing doses of politics, pop culture, and existential angst at you weekly. If we do our jobs right, you’ll be hooked on reading the magazine each week.

But we can’t do it alone—we need your help! There’s a range of paid positions but mostly, Salient relies on volunteers. We want those committed to quality journalism, those who want to improve their skills, and those who are eager to pursue stories big and small.

Check Salient next week, and the Facebook page, for more about the roles on offer and how to apply. If you want to be involved but you’re not sure how, get in touch and we’ll figure something out.

At the start of Trimester 1 next year we’ll be hosting an event so you can come and meet the team and have a look around the office. Email salientmag2016@gmail.com to stay in the loop.

Salient FM will remain an unshakeable part of our media empire, led by station manager Rob Barratt. You can stream the musical goodness via Salient’s website or tune in at 88.3. Hit up Rob at fm@salient.org.nz if you want to get involved.

Salient TV’s fate will be decided by the student media committee in the coming weeks. We will let you know if it’s sticking around (our fingers are crossed) and how you can be part of it.

You’re probably about to start your final assignments and exam study. We wish you luck and hope you find time to unwind this summer, and celebrate making it through the academic year. You’ve earned it and you deserve it.

Stay up to date as the takeover begins on Facebook, Instagram (@salientgram), Twitter (@salientmagazine) and salient.org.nz.

Emma & Jayne

1. Growth
  2. Update: VUW Faculty of Health
  3. The Sun Also Rises: ANZAC and The End of the Day
  4. Not My President, But My Country
  5. UN to receive SOUL
  6. The Word for World is Forest — Ursula K. Le Guin
  7. An ode to Alien (1979)
  9. Dear Mr James…
  10. Care workers win equal pay

Growth

: - SPONSORED - The first plant I ever owned was a succulent. I chose a succulent because they are meant to be so easy to take care of. I thought, I can do this. My succulent died in our cold damp Aro Valley flat. We lived there for two years, it is where I started […]