October 6, 2015 | by  | in News Online Only Salient TV |

IDF soldiers speak on campus

Last Tuesday reserve soldiers from the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) spoke at Victoria as part of a nationwide tour, in what Victoria academics described as “an exercise in propaganda and apologetics for military violence”.

The controversial event, titled “Operation Protective Edge: An Israeli Soldier’s Perspective”,  was organised by the Wellington chapter of the Australasian Union of Jewish Students (AUJS), and sparked an outcry from student groups such as Students for Justice in Palestine, as well as a group of academics who circulated a petition to cancel the event amongst university staff.

Victoria University ultimately allowed the event to go forward, sparking a decision by several groups to protest it. Around 60 protestors turned up at the talk, lining the hallway as people made their way to the event. The atmosphere was highly charged, as a pro-Israel counter-protester walked through the middle of the group. Protesters infrequently interrupted as Raphael and Naftali spoke about their experience as Israeli Defence Force reservists to those who attended.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel