October 6, 2015 | by  | in News Online Only Salient TV |

IDF soldiers speak on campus

Last Tuesday reserve soldiers from the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) spoke at Victoria as part of a nationwide tour, in what Victoria academics described as “an exercise in propaganda and apologetics for military violence”.

The controversial event, titled “Operation Protective Edge: An Israeli Soldier’s Perspective”,  was organised by the Wellington chapter of the Australasian Union of Jewish Students (AUJS), and sparked an outcry from student groups such as Students for Justice in Palestine, as well as a group of academics who circulated a petition to cancel the event amongst university staff.

Victoria University ultimately allowed the event to go forward, sparking a decision by several groups to protest it. Around 60 protestors turned up at the talk, lining the hallway as people made their way to the event. The atmosphere was highly charged, as a pro-Israel counter-protester walked through the middle of the group. Protesters infrequently interrupted as Raphael and Naftali spoke about their experience as Israeli Defence Force reservists to those who attended.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,