October 4, 2015 | by  | in Film |

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

★★½

The second film in (presumably) a trilogy, The Scorch Trials starts off with a bang. Thomas (Dylan O’Brien) wakes up in an elevator that is rapidly ascending while red lights and warning sirens blast on screen, then cuts to him waking up from his nightmare of what was the first movie.

The first movie was about a maze, the poor teenagers trying to escape it, and the scientists who run it. The second movie is about them trying to escape the scientists and also some zombies. Yeah, I was not really expecting a zombie movie but here we go. The second movie is meant to explain why the first took place, and how the maze was used to save the human race from the zombie virus. Honestly I am still at a loss at how these two film’s plots actually connect together.

Most of the movie is Thomas looking over his shoulder, making a shocked expression, then taking 10 seconds to start running in the opposite direction from the zombies while the rest of his teenage comrades (includes Kaya Scodelario and Thomas Brodie-Sangster) follow close behind.

The film takes us through a much larger world than the first, from an abandoned city in the desert, to an underground tunnel system, to a mountain range in the final act. The scenery is stunning and you can see where their budget went.

All in all this is a fun movie where anything’s made up and the plot doesn’t matter. All we need is to know that Thomas is important and his blood holds the key to basically everything. There are love triangles, betrayal, zombies, explosions, and a whole lot of running. It even passes the Bechdel test in the final moments of the film (bravo).

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,