October 7, 2015 | by  | in News Online Only Splash |

Turns out there wasn’t a bomb LOL

Police have now officially concluded their search in the University’s Murphy buildings having found no suspicious items.

According to a Police statement, “a note threatening the detonation of a bomb in the Murphy building was discovered”.

As a result, students were escorted from class and Kelburn Parade was cordoned off.

One student told Salient that “campus security burst into the class” and appeared “super concerned that we leave now”.

“Police were insistent that we move as far away from Murphy as possible…police were directing traffic and telling us to get up Kelburn Parade as quick as possible and as far as possible. No one knew what was going on because no one told us anything other than to move” the student said.

“Based on the information available, police are confident that any potential threat was localised to the Murphy building”, but “investigations into identifying the person who made the threat will continue” the Police stated.

Although Murphy and Kelburn Parade which were previously evacuated are now accessible, lectures and tutorials in Murphy have been cancelled for the rest of the day.

The threat comes two days after a gun threat aimed at the University of Otago was made on the social networking site 4chan.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,