October 11, 2015 | by  | in Film |

The best, so far

Imagine a “Best Movies of 2015” list, conceived before half of the best movies of the year have even hit the big screen. Yup, here it is!

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

In a year dominated by a resurgence in movie franchises, the Mad Max revival came out on top. It’s an atypical masterpiece: the eccentricities in characters, unremitting action sequences, and dystopian setting went through the blender and poured out unique cinema that puts a woman in the driver’s seat of a movie named after its male lead, and delivers lunacy that has a serious medical impact on the viewer’s testosterone levels.

1. Ex Machina

A Frankenstein-esque story superbly written for the age of artificial intelligence. Its small budget gave more heartbeats per dollar than any of its big budget co-movies this year.

1. Selma

Based on the Selma to Montgomery voting right marches of 1965, Selma showcases A+ acting in a political story that never feels prescriptive. It’s suspenseful, rhetorical, and epic.

1. The Martian

Similar to Gravity in its out-in-space exposition, dedication to scientific accuracy, and constant gravitational pull to the edge of your seat. Not similar to Gravity in its greater use of Matt Damon, greater use of comedy, and more satisfying narrative.

1. Straight Outta Compton

No-one expected this enthralling biopic to mimic the underground success story of Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, and Eazy-E in their undertaking to become some of the most influential artists in hip-hop. It captured the most interesting fraction of their lives and the best part is that you don’t have to like hip-hop to like this movie.

1. Jurassic World

The highest grossing movie so far. Jurassic World distracted us from a dead plot with sublime CGI dinos and references to the original that made us feel nostalgic and warm inside, which was all we cared about.

1. Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation

The fifth instalment in 20 years and easily the best one for its irony-laden old-school action sequences, plot twists and motifs. It would be better if the film series just matured and stopped calling Tom Cruise “Ethan Hunt”, which confuses us into thinking that Cruise doesn’t commit eccentric, nonsensical stunts on a day-to-scientologist-day basis in his personal life, but, other than that, no complaints about this film.

Worst movies: Tomorrowland, Minions, Pitch Perfect 2, 50 Shades of Grey, and Jupiter Ascending.