This is literary so great

On 14 November Wellington will play host to its second city-wide LitCrawl with our very own Vic Books among one of its sponsors.

The self-professed “celebration of art, literature and spoken word performances” based on San Francisco’s LitCrawl Festival will feature over 80 writers from New Zealand, Wellington and overseas.

Last year’s inaugural LitCrawl attracted over 2000 people from all over the region. Due to popular demand and positive feedback, organisers have put it together for another year.

The day long programme is separated into three sessions, each containing a variety of speakers and literature.

The three parts are held in 15 different venues all over the city, from large stores to tiny book shops. The venues include the City Gallery, Arty Bees Bookshop, the Wellington Chocolate Factory, Six Barrel Soda and Meow.

VicBooks is a sponsor of the event this year, and a spokesperson said the store was always interested in being involved in the event.

“Clare and Andrew [the event’s founders] approached us about this event in mid-2014, and we were interested immediately… we knew when we sponsored this event we would be supporting a wider community that we’re passionate about”.

Entry to LitCrawl sessions is by donation. VicBooks said “taking part in these events will expose university students to a wide network of readers and writers alike”.

“Events like these develop the creative capital that is a vital part of the fabric of Wellington.”

If you want get involved, donate or just want more information head to litcrawl.co.nz.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop