Vic marketers: “Did we make the right choice?”

Victoria University has almost tripled its marketing spend in the last three years without a significant increase in the number of enrolments its received.

The University’s marketing spend includes advertisements placed domestically and overseas, urging students to join our hallowed halls—or as this year’s tagline points out, “know you’ve made the right choice”.

Despite the increase in spending by the University, the number of enrolments at Victoria this year has failed to overtake last year’s figure.

At the end of 2014, Victoria University had 16,983 equivalent full-time students (EFTS) and as at 27 September, the University had 16,830 EFTS.*

However, this doesn’t account for enrolments in Trimester Three courses, which may increase 2015’s enrolment numbers.

The figures show that New Zealand universities are competing on the market for a limited pool: there are only so many students attending university from year to year.

This has been compounded by a fall in the number of students achieving University Entrance (20,578 in 2014, down from 24,940 in 2013).

Victoria’s total marketing spend

Victoria marketing spend 2014

University marketing spends 2014 (Domestic Students)

1. Interview with Katie Bruce
  2. Summertime Sadness: An Ode to a Short-Lasting Summer
  3. For Teresia
  4. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Season One
  5. Hit and Run
  6. what an idiot
  7. Shakti Refuge Refused Funding
  8. VIC UFO
Salient (4)

Summertime Sadness: An Ode to a Short-Lasting Summer

: - SPONSORED - As the Wellington’s annual premature cold kicks in, the hashtag tbt increases sevenfold and we all begin to get moody at the thought of the imminent mould sure to resurface in the coming months. I was fortunate enough to grab at least a week of sunshine and happin