Victoria: Guaranteeing 90% satisfaction since 1897

Results from an International Student Barometer (ISB) survey commissioned by Education New Zealand show that 90% of international students are satisfied with the tertiary education they’re receiving.

The survey questioned 6188 students from all eight New Zealand universities.

Universities New Zealand CEO Chris Whelan praised the results, which also showed that 93% of international students chose to study in New Zealand due to the reputation of our universities.

When asked, a variety of international students at Vic agreed with the survey’s findings.

“[New Zealand] is a really cool place for study! It’s quiet yet lively here,” Indonesian student Joey Zahary Ginting said. “People here are friendly and helpful, you get in touch with nature—which I believe could reduce the amount of stress.”

____________________

87% of international students were satisfied with their overall learning experience

54% were satisfied with the cost of accommodation

46% planned to stay in New Zealand

____________________

However, international students were also concerned about fees. International students studying law pay $29,610 per year and those studying sciences pay $28,173.

Additionally, the ISB results that showed only 53 per cent of students surveyed were satisfied with their opportunity to earn while studying, and 55 per cent were satisfied with the availability of financial support.

Despite this, four out of five participants would still recommend the institution they attended to other students.

In the latest year, student visas rose by 6400 to 26,800, with 10,600 students arriving from India alone. International fee-paying students contribute $1 billion to the New Zealand economy annually, making tertiary education our fifth-largest export earner.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan