October 11, 2015 | by  | in VUWSA |

Yarn With Zwaan

So we’re here. Week 12 and the last issue of Salient of the year. Where did that year go? My tenure as President and three years on the Exec are coming to an end (finally?!). I remember when I first sat in the President’s chair at the start of the year. I’d just got back into civilisation after a rained out New Year’s tramping trip. Sonya had given me the office keys and a “good luck” card. The rollercoaster of a year that would be had begun.

Despite having been on the Exec for a couple of years and observed two Presidents, nothing really prepares you for what is a massively demanding yet hugely rewarding and privileged position. Every day has been different and your plans are constantly changing as curveballs and opportunities present themselves—such is the pleasure of trying to represent over 20,000 students.

I’m proud of the work the entire VUWSA team have managed to have achieved this year—from big issues like Uni Council changes to tangible new things like the fantastic fruit and vege market, and the countless other things in between.

A huge thank you must go to everyone at VUWSA and Victoria who’s helped to make our university and city a better place. Cheers to the entire Exec—Jono, Madeleine, Toby, Jacinta, Nathaniel, Ellen, Chennoah, Rory, and Rory—you guys have all worked tremendously hard, supported me and challenged me when I’ve definitely needed it. Shout out to all the VUWSA staff and volunteers—you’ve all given an immense amount this year. Thanks too to the hundreds of Class Reps, Faculty Delegates, Rep Groups and Clubs that make Victoria that much better.   

To Sam and the team at Salient—I’ve appreciated the coverage (particularly on the “real issues” like my haircut…)

Thanks to the Chancellor, Sir Neville Jordan and the rest of University Council, and Vice-Chancellor Grant Guilford, and the rest of the SLT team—we’ve had some challenging issues, and a few disagreements, to deal with this year, but I’ve appreciated the way we’ve worked through them with a high level of mutual respect.  

Cheers to Pam Thorburn, Jenny Bentley, Academic Office and the countless other university staff who we deal with often for the constructive discussions and amazing amount of work you do for students.

Finally, thanks to my flatmates, Steph and Angus, for putting up with me and keeping me honest.

I’m pleased that there is great bunch of people on the 2016 Exec who will continue to carry VUWSA forward.

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America