February 21, 2016 | by  | in Arts Film |

A Guide to Wellington’s Hidden Cinemas

Paramount Cinema—Courtney Place

Although it is not exactly ‘hidden’, Paramount is possibly the best alternative cinema in the city. It screens most recently released major films, but also hosts a steady stream of films coming in off the festival circuit. If you do go and get a chance to look around, the walls plastered with layers of film posters will give you an idea of the vibe this place is going for. If you’re a real film nerd, this is where you need to be.

Penthouse Cinema—Brooklyn

Referring more, I assume, to its location up above the CBD rather than the magazine by the same name, Penthouse is more of an effort to get to than other cinemas in the city. Still, it does a good job of mixing Wellington’s interests in cinema and coffee, with a strong emphasis on the café side of things. Also, like other alternative cinemas, it shows a good mix of mainstream and indie films, and with a unique location it’s definitely worth the trip.

Lighthouse Cuba—Wigan Street

Located in the heart of Wellington central, Lighthouse Cuba is a hidden treasure for any avid cinema goer. Complete with luxurious couches and a laid back vibe; it is one of the best cinemas Wellington has to offer. With an $11 student deal, this chic cinema won’t even break the bank—unless of course you follow your film with a trip to Wellington’s iconic Havana Bar located just across the road. Showings include a mixture of blockbusters and indie films.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,