February 21, 2016 | by  | in Arts Film |

A Guide to Wellington’s Hidden Cinemas

Paramount Cinema—Courtney Place

Although it is not exactly ‘hidden’, Paramount is possibly the best alternative cinema in the city. It screens most recently released major films, but also hosts a steady stream of films coming in off the festival circuit. If you do go and get a chance to look around, the walls plastered with layers of film posters will give you an idea of the vibe this place is going for. If you’re a real film nerd, this is where you need to be.

Penthouse Cinema—Brooklyn

Referring more, I assume, to its location up above the CBD rather than the magazine by the same name, Penthouse is more of an effort to get to than other cinemas in the city. Still, it does a good job of mixing Wellington’s interests in cinema and coffee, with a strong emphasis on the café side of things. Also, like other alternative cinemas, it shows a good mix of mainstream and indie films, and with a unique location it’s definitely worth the trip.

Lighthouse Cuba—Wigan Street

Located in the heart of Wellington central, Lighthouse Cuba is a hidden treasure for any avid cinema goer. Complete with luxurious couches and a laid back vibe; it is one of the best cinemas Wellington has to offer. With an $11 student deal, this chic cinema won’t even break the bank—unless of course you follow your film with a trip to Wellington’s iconic Havana Bar located just across the road. Showings include a mixture of blockbusters and indie films.

1. With Arms Wide Open: AUSA to return to NZUSA
  3. WEED — Anthony McCarten
  5. The New Animals — Pip Adam
  6. The Queer Agenda
  7. Fazerdaze
  9. The Green Option
  10. Bogan Beautiful (The Musical)
blue

The Things We Share

: - SPONSORED - As a Pākehā kid, when I first learnt to mihi, I found that building a sense of my own whakapapa was a kind of patchwork, something I could stitch together by pulling threads from family stories. The waka I chose, or borrowed from my father, was called the Wanganel