February 21, 2016 | by  | in Editorial Opinion |

Editorial—Issue 0, 2016

Welcome / Kia Ora Whanau/ Talofa lava / Wassup

We’ll never not associate O-Week with a little cringe-worthy awkwardness. Or feeling like you’re in the middle of the ocean surrounded by tiny seahorses. But O-Week is the small window of time before classes start; it’s a last breath of free-time. You should enjoy it, even though you may wake up regretting your choices while looking into a toilet bowl.

Though O-Week is a big deal, and it’s a great opportunity to meet people, it’s okay it if seems a bit naff and like a series of forced interactions. It’s important to forget about doing what you feel like you should do. There is no one-size fits all O-Week.

So you don’t own a white sheet, but want to go to the toga party anyway. In lieu of borrowing, wear your embarrassing racing car sheets. Be your own snowflake—wear your toga your way. So you don’t know who G-Eazy is but you have a ticket, go anyway. You hate group activities? Don’t join in with the halls’ cringe activities, and go your own way. Hate club music? Try one of the chill bars, with dark corners and pints of craft beer to help you while away the night. Go to the places that you want to check out, even if sometimes you have to go alone. This city is full of the best cafés, ocean views, walks, political action, and artistic happenings that New Zealand has to offer.

But do make the most of this time, as cliche as it may sound. Seek out the clubs and activities that you like the sound of. While it might be a little awkward at first, it will worth the discomfort when you get involved in something you are passionate about, and meet other people who are too. Start conversations with the people sitting next to you in lecture theatres and tutorials, or in your hall. People that you meet in class or at breakfast might become some of your best friends at uni.

Look after yourself and get help when you need it. There is plenty of support available at the university, and this issue is full of ways to find the help you need. Remember to relax when it gets stressful. Keep in touch with the people who love and support you. Talk about how you’re finding it all.

You’ve joined a world that is massive, and while it can seem daunting, it’s full of so many opportunities. It’s important to learn how to dive in, how to find your place, and to find your own way around. This is your experience, and you can’t compare it to anyone else’s. You have to ignore other people’s expectations, and decide for yourself—Whether about relationships, grades, or social involvement. The thing we’re trying to say is: it’ll be hard, but worth it. But most of all ~ YOU DO YOU ~

xoxo Emma & Jayne

1