February 28, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

Gee-Mail

Hey everyone!

For those of you returning for another year at Vic, welcome back! The campus has been bustling as we welcomed new students last week. The annual toga party kicked off the new students’ orientation, and we brought you G-Eazy (all the way from the US!) to round off a spectacular week.

The start of the uni-year is always exciting, you feel that little bit older and wiser than the year before. I always tell myself that this year I’m going to be more organised, work out a good lecture note-taking system, and do all my readings. But lol, it never seems to happen. But it’s the intention that counts right?

One of the few luxuries we get as students is that the new university year starts two months after everybody else’s. It doesn’t feel like the year has really started until we get back into the rhythm of university. I came across a really good quote at the end of last year, which made me think. It said, “the new year doesn’t exist if you’re still in love with your comfort zone.” With the university year starting at the end of February, we get a second chance to carry through with those new year resolutions that we broke in early January. I get a second chance to actually get a gym membership, and try and hang out with my non-VUWSA mates at least once a week (VUWSA Prez = no social life). But we don’t get that second chance if we’re not willing to get out of our comfort zones and try something new.

At VUWSA, we’re trying to niggle our way out of our comfort zone this year. The government is introducing new minimum housing standards to make rental housing warmer, drier, and safer. Over the last few weeks we’ve used this as an opportunity to tell the story of student hardship, whether it be dealing with the mould crisis in our flats, or not having enough support to live each week. We’ll be exposing the latter this Wednesday, the day when student debt reaches a whopping $15 billion. There are many adverse consequences that result from having mountains of debt, and we want you to tell your story this week.

In the meantime, make sure you take this week to think about your *new* new year resolutions. They can be as small as trying to say hello to the person sitting next to you in lectures, or as big as joining all 130+ clubs during clubs week (Tuesday–Thursday this week!). Good luck, and all the best for the first week of class!

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t